The Victorian Births, Deaths and Marriages online database has been greatly improved.
Now searches include basic information such as the names of parents and the old requirement of having to pay 99 cents to view records has been removed, as well as the $5.00 prepayment system.
This is a boon for family historians as you can now narrow down the search results and determine the correct records without having to spend money. To compensate, the price of full certificates has risen to $24 (downloaded) should you wish to proceed with getting the full document.
Check it out here: https://online.justice.vic.gov.au/bdm/indexsearch.doj
Online birth, death and marriage indexes by state:
- Determining the date of genealogical events
- The disappearing men - using census records
- Following naming conventions in genealogy
- Come find me, actually come find me
- Improved Victorian BDM
- Adopting a grave
- Finding burial information - tips and traps
- Find a history group faster
- Grave destruction
- 16 tips to promote your history group website
- 14th Australasian Congress on Genealogy and Heraldry